The over 300 abducted schoolboys of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina, have regained their freedom.
News of the boys’ release broke on Thursday night, when a top government official who spoke under anonymity, said the students were currently on their way to the government house from the hideout of their abductors.
The boys had been missing since Friday night when gunmen attacked the school.
Even though Boko Haram later released a video in which Shekau, the leader of the group claimed responsibility for the incident, Aminu Masari, the state governor, claimed that bandits were behind the attack.
It is unclear if any ransom was paid for the release of the children but some of the abductors had earlier asked the parents to raise funds for the release of their children.
Masari had also said his government was in talks with the abductors, expressing confidence that there was progress in the negotiation.
Speaking on the release of the schoolboys, Masari said the abductees would be reunited with their families later today after medical examination. He also added that the government would increase security personnel in the schools to avert a re-occurrence.
He said: “We have protected and secured all our schools. We are going to increase the number of security operatives in our schools to make sure that we don’t experience what we have experienced in the past six days. We want to encourage communities around those schools to form another security unit around the schools.”
The governor said the security agencies did well in securing the areas the pupils were camped, adding that the whole area was secured and cordoned by the security agencies to secure the children. According to him, the issue of security is a challenge to everyone.
He added, “We can overcome our insecurity challenges if we all cooperate, unite and provide critical information to the security agencies.”
FOR GTBANK EXCHANGE DOLLAR TO NAIRA RATE TODAY VISIT ABOKIFX