Following a landmine ambush in the northern axis of Borno state on Saturday, seven soldiers are suspected to have been killed.
The victimized soldiers were on escort duty en route Baga when they stumbled upon the landmines planted by suspected Boko Haram members.
Immediately after the landmines went off, the insurgents quickly opened up fire on the convoy.
Also in the convoy were truckloads of food heading to Baga town of Kukawa local government.
READ ALSO: DOLLAR TO NAIRA RATE TODAY ON ABKIFX RATE.
The food supplies were meant for returning Internally Displayed Persons by Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum.
Natives of Baga were among the convoy escorting the food to Stadium IDP camp, Maiduguri.
Eyewitness report in the persons of relatives of the victims confirmed the attack and they also stated that the victims of the landmine attack had already been taken to a hospital in Maiduguri for treatment.
Soldiers who survived the attack stated that the terrorists seized their weapons and a gun truck.
Further investigation revealed that the attack was at Gazarwa village, a popular Boko Haram checkpoint after Gajiram, before Monguno.
Sources said seven corpses of soldiers and one of CJTF were seen on Sunday morning at Gajiram.
Military sources that took part in the evacuation of injured persons said they are being treated at the military hospital in Maiduguri.
The military is yet to release a statement on the incident.
But spokesperson to Governor Zulum, Isa Gusau confirmed that neither Zulum nor any component of his detail was part of the attacked convoy.
He said in a statement that the governor had successfully completed his mission in Baga, where he spent one night and returned to Maiduguri on Sunday.
While Gusau did not deny the attack, he advised newshounds to seek clarification from the military.